Saturday, November 19, 2011

Saturday Says Synopsises Suck

Or: Alliteration is fun!

Before I go about writing this post, can I just say how much I HATE writing that word? Seriously, I can never spell it on the first try. Or the second. Or the third. Bah. Hate it.

Now how about some links to people who will say (and spell) this better than me first.

Katherine Ortiz

Pub Rants

Go Teen Writers

Bookends LLC

Confessions of a Wandering Heart

Fiction Groupie

Hannah Moskowitz

Where Ladybugs Roar (This one is less about the synopsis itself, but it’s got some really good points about summarizing and this is my post so I’m linking to it anyways)

I’m not querying yet (January, fingers crossed) but I’m working on getting there and I am very bad at the stuff that comes after the whole writing and revising thing.

(My query letter? I’ve written like twelve different versions of it. And that’s full scrapping-and-restarting versions, not tweaks. And you know what? I hate query letters. Where was I going with this again? Oh, right. This is why I shouldn’t write blog posts running on no sleep and over-caffeinated.)

Anyways, like I said, I’m not good at this part, so I figure better to get it done before I need it to have time to work on it, right?

Right. That’s what I figured too. Except the thing is, I hate summarizing things. With a passion that burns like the fire of a thousand sunburns. This is why I tend to mumble and grumble and complain through the “Plot” section of my reviews. So what I’m trying working on it one chapter at a time, going backwards. Then I’ll – hopefully – be able to mash them together into something that makes sense and edit until it doesn’t sound like a 7th grade book report.

(I’m totally stealing this from Hannah, by the way. She’s seriously awesome, if you haven’t noticed. And also I have signed magnets from her that I use to hold my calendar to my closet door when I plan my clothes for the next 2 weeks.)

Stay tuned for how that works! (Seriously, do you guys want to know how it turns out? Let me know.)

Peace and cookies,
Laina

Oh, don't forget that we're looking for new members!