Thursday, February 21, 2013

Thursday with Newspaper Help

There are some basic knowledge things authors feel like they know. The sky is blue. Fire is hot. Reading tweets while walking down stairs is dangerous. 
I've seen a few newspaper articles in YA lately, and it annoys me.
I like the idea of newspaper articles in YA (easy way to establish the perceived backstory while adding the opinions of other characters through quotes), but sometimes it's obvious an author hasn't done their research.

  • The introductory paragraph should answer who, what, when, where, and why
  • Headline (title) needs a subject and verb (the punny titles are called kickers, but headlines are always needed)
  • Like in writing a novel, quotes are written as "Quote," Name said. "Rest of quote."
  • Newspapers aren't supposed to publish names of children under 18 (this is so the minor can move past the incident). I learned this in my law class, so I don't know how often it's followed. Basically, would you want an article about how you were involved in a fire to stay with you forever?
  • No Harvard Commas (this is an extra character, and every character is vital in journalism)