Friday, October 19, 2012

Friday Has Workshop Brain

Heya people.

So, in my creative writing class here at school, we've been workshopping for the past couple weeks. If you don't know what that is, we bring in short stories (3 groups that rotate) and read them, critique them, and then discuss them in class. The writer isn't allowed to justify anything and then they go back and revise the story for our final portfolios. Yes.

I adore workshop. It is so fascinating to hear people talk about your writing in person--especially in such a large group. The majority of the time I hear feedback about my writing is through the internet from my critique partners or my brother who basically reads everything I write (and he is literally the sweetest person ever when it comes to my writing). Whether it be bad or good, what they have to say is always interesting. I think it is a great idea for any sort of writer to just go to a workshop, whether it be through a school or arts center or random writing class, or if you just get a group of writers you know together to do one.

What's interesting to me is that the feedback on my stories isn't what has helped me most with writing this semester. It's reading other people's stories. I have to admit that there are only a very few exceptional writers in my class. Reading their work is so much fun and I've learned a lot from them. But I've learned a lot of what not to do from others, as well as how different writing can be when you've done it for years or you are just beginning. I know a lot of agents and people in general tend to look down on teenage or young writers because their work isn't that well developed. From reading more and more works of such young people writing, I've realized it's very true. A lot of the people in my workshop haven't been writing seriously for as long as a lot of the people I've met on twitter or here on blogger have, and it definitely shows. That being said, I've realized how strong (sorry, not trying to toot my horn here) my writing is compared to most other high school/college students, as well as the people I've surrounded myself with online's writing is.

So props to you guys.

Has anyone else been in a workshop class before? What are your thoughts on it?

IN OTHER NEWS. NaNoWriMo starts in just under two weeks!! Who all is doing it? I am for sure. NaNo is one my favorite things ever. *pumped*

Toodles for now!