Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thursday on Problem Solving

Sorry for not posting last week. Some personal problems got in the way. I won't get into it because y'all probably don't care and it is hard to explain.
I wish I could say I took my personal problems as a reason to dive into my writing and find strength like my MC does. Nope. I didn't do that.
I tried, but the words would not come.
The problem is that my WIP is a historical, and I can not nail that era's voice.
I have been doing research, but nothing is clicking for the voice. I have great plot elements to add and all.
This got me thinking about what I was struggling with this time last year.

  • Biology (I still have no idea how I managed to pull an A in that class)
  • Boys (I still have not made any improvements in understanding the male brain- for writing purposes only ;) okay maybe for me too)
  • Books (I noticed I had two other Bs, so I thought I would end with another B)

My writing (or books for the B purpose) had its own problems.
I could not for the life of me develop a healthy, realistic, swoon worthy, unique romance. All of my love interests were carbon copies of every other swoon worth guy in the YA market. Now I have dozens of amazing guys swarming in my head (That sounded a lot better in my head). What I mean is that now I have (if I do say so myself) really amazing love interests in store for my MCs.
I also had problems with writing an accent for my characters voice. Now my MC's southern twang comes out full force, and it is a blast to write (I recently stored that story away because the plot was not working, but every now and then, I get hit by a witty one liner from that character).
I wrote a post a while back about how much I hate themes, and now I am starting to get them. We aren't quite at the friendship bracelet stage, but we are getting there.
I had other problems (some of which haven't been resolved yet), but I have gotten past a lot of them. With time everything worked its way out.
Summary: Everything gets better with time.
Whether its personal drama, school work, boys (okay this has not been proven yet), or your writing; it gets better.