Thursday, June 9, 2011

Less is More

So I realize it's been a while since I've done a post here, and I'm sorry for that. I do have a good excuse, though: I've been working really hard on the latest W.I.P. I got the fever. Anyway, there's one thing I've been focusing on in all the writing. And this is, oddly enough, simplicity.

It's recently been brought to my attention that there is such a thing as too much going on in a book. Okay, I can hear you thinking, Well, duh. But really, it didn't occur to me. I have a tendency to weave more than one subplot into a story. But apparently people have trouble following ten plots at once. I know! Shocking, right?

In an effort to keep this current story more simple, I've been worrying. What if this is boring? What if it's so simple it's not unique? Eventually I got over myself enough to keep writing. Because so what? So what if it's boring? So what if it isn't unique? I have to keep writing, and there's this thing called revising.

My lesson from all this worrying and fretting and freaking: less is more. Less is a good thing. And if there's a little too much, it's easy to fix it.