Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lies.

In my fiction workshop (I'm at a TN writing program!) we played "two truths and a lie." (If you're not familiar with the game, it involves coming up with--you got it--two truths and a lie, telling all three to someone or someones, and someone(s) try to guess the lie.)

The key was in the details.

As authors, details are important in making something believable. I mean, fiction, could be considered lying, or making-up-stuff. But we do it with detail. For example, Harry Potter? Hogwarts? Platform 9 3/4? All ideas and places we readers totally know like the backs of our hands (Room of Requirement? Moving stairs?). Why? Because of the details. We believe the story.

I don't have much time, but I thought I'd share. Go try two truths and a lie!

Kieryn
www.kierynnicolas.com