Friday, January 18, 2013

Friday Talks Classic Literature

OH MY GOSH WOW I'M POSTING.

I'm sorry I've been so distant. Though, it looks like Jewels has really been the only one posting regularly. Busy lives, eh?

Well, a new college semester has begun for me and I'm taking two literature classes. Which are both American Literature (1 and 2, basically).

This past week I had to reread Huck Finn and we discussed it in my class today. And, of course, as we probably all know, this is a book that has been banned again and again. Since the time it was published, it has been on of the most controversial books ever written (in the United States, that is). As we were discussing it today in class, someone (I cannot remember if it was a classmate or my professor) brought up the point that it's a classic piece of literature because of its controversy and because people are always talking about it. And I think this can be applied to all literature that is considered "classic." It's classic because of the themes and controversies written into them and brought up when published.

I personally think that's pretty fantastic. And as dense as some classic literature can be, it's hard to shove it aside and discredit it because of the issues and conversations it drives. Those are the kind of things I really want to strive through in my writing, too.

I'm not saying that I want to write the next Great Novel, or have my works become classics. But I want people to discuss them. I want them to resonate with people and perhaps spark a little controversy. Personally, I find plain storytelling that doesn't exactly challenge anything to be uninteresting and extremely lacking in a way. I like morals and challenges and controversies.

What about you?