Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thursday about Criticism

Lately, I have been testing the waters with telling people that I write. No one close to me yet. Just strangers.
The other day I was asked in class what I liked to do. I said writing. I probably should have said plotting, coming up with ideas that will never make it to paper, or something; but I don't think anyone would have understood the angst mixed in those statements. No one else in the room said they liked to write. When I said I liked to write, a few guys laughed. I don't know if it was a laugh like "what is this girl thinking. she can barely string thoughts together let alone words" or "wow didn't see that coming". Honestly I don't care.
I know I'm not the best writer. Y'all have been deciphering my writing on here for almost a year now. I don't stay on point. If my writing was a driver, people would think I was drunk. My grammar is pitiful. Some of my sentences don't make any sense. I know all that.
If I was reading all of my posts, I wouldn't think I was a good writer either.
The thing is there are a lot of bad writers out there. I might be one of them. That doesn't stop me from loving writing. I hope I can still say that after I start really showing off my writing.
People braver than me have shown off their writing. A few have even shown their writing to me.
I remember this one guy who I barely even knew read me his WIP. Some of the kids next to us were making fun of him and his story, but he still kept on reading.
I don't know if he ever finished writing his WIP, but I hope so. It takes a real love for something to keep doing it after people you know don't like it. Reading reviews online are from strangers, but people you know? That's personal and take lots of love.
People are mean. Not everyone is going to under stand the tiny pieces of ourselves we share in our writing, but in a passion that requires sharing pieces of yourself to your readers, criticism hurts. It's not just your writing they are criticizing but the tiny pieces of you that you included in every word.
So next time you are reading a book, looking at a painting, listening to a song, watching a movie, etc, please remember someone gave a piece of themselves into that work of art. Everything in this world is a work of art. It's time we start appreciating it instead of trying to tear the world down.
I know it's easy to read a book and wonder how that garbage could possibly been published when your  story isn't, but someone shared a piece of themselves with you. Appreciate that if not for the actual book.
Honesty is great, but there is a line between helpful honesty (constructive criticism) and saying something that can destroy the other pieces of a person.
I know I'm not the best writer, but I'm trying. Everyone is trying. Please don't make them quit.
It's a new year. I hope I can be more supportive to other writers and people in general. As always, if y'all need someone to talk to, I'm here.
Like I said, I'm not the best writer, but I just shared a piece of me. I hope y'all understand it.