Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tuesday on What Day Is It?

Sometimes days blur together.

A lot.

This is especially true in school, and I noticed it last month because I was not in school--I was in Melbourne, Australia, a completely new location with endless possibilities each day. Possibilities I took advantage of. I went into the city. I walked in the bush. (Yes, it's called the bush.) I went shopping. (A lot.) (Hey, I had holiday presents to buy.) I met new people. I got over the what-are-we-doing-on-the-left-side-of-the-road thing.

And then I went back to school. And today I didn't know what day it was.

School repeats. Home life repeats. And that'll be true for your characters, too, which, if portrayed accurately, will make for some repetitive stories. So because I'm all for accuracy but all against needless repetition, my advice is this: if your story seems stuck in a loop, drop your character in a new location. It could be across town or across the world, but have him/her GO somewhere. DO something. Take a train. Drive on the wrong side of the road. Adventure is out there, to quote Up.

Happy Tuesday!
Kieryn
www.kierynnicolas.tumblr.com