Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Location Inspiration



There are tons of things that inspire me. Articles of clothing, expressions, shiny coins, even long and droning lectures. But there's only one place where everything inspires me. The beach.

Well, there are other places that come close. Like on a cruise I get tons, tons, tons of ideas. But lots of times I'm distracted by ice cream machines and tendering to and from the ship and finding tour groups that I only let the flow of ideas come half the time.

Every summer my family goes to Long Beach Island, NJ. I love it here. There's one main road, and as you drive/bike/walk/etc down it you can look one way and see the bay and the other way and see the entrance to the beach at almost all times. Incredible. And while I'm here everything I see or do or taste or hear or even smell makes me want to write.

Don't get me wrong, I read, too. I have a backpack full of books with me and I'm about halfway through them already. But even as I'm reading there's a part of my mind that wants to be writing.

Therefore I bring a notebook with me almost everywhere, especially the shore. Last time I was here I lounged on the beach blanket and slathered on sunscreen (yeah, I'm a burner) between scribbling scenes of my new story.

I brought that notebook again. And the shore is calling to me... Have a great Tuesday!

Kieryn
www.kierynnicolas.com
www.kierynnicolas.blogspot.com