Monday, September 13, 2010

The "I Haven't Written in a While" Blues

It's official. I have the "I Haven't Written in a While" blues.

When I first start writing, I write everyday. My wordcount soars. I'm so excited about the story that I just have to get it out. Then, I get past the few beginning scenes and start pushing my way into the middle. As long as I keep writing everyday, I'm okay. But once I don't write for a day and then another day and another, things get icky. I just don't care anymore.

I want to get the story finished. I want to get to the climax. But that excitement I felt when I opened my WIP every day? It's gone.

So when I do sit down to write, I find myself procrastinating instead. And sure, I could force myself to write but then I feel like I have no clue where I'm going, having been away from my WIP for a while.

The obvious treatment is to write every day and then hey, I wouldn't have a problem. As much as try to follow that, life keeps getting in the way.

So I'm currently left with a manuscript that needs to be written and not a whole lot of excitement about where I'm at.

Has this happened to you? What do you do?

Harmony