Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wednesday is a newbie.

Hi. I'm one of YA Lit Six's new members, and I'd like to start out by thanking the amazing Laina, Kieryn, Jewels, and KT for reading through the applications and picking me. I can't wait to get to know this blog and its members better.

OK. I'm not the best at introductions, but I guess I should tell you all a little bit about myself. I'm currently employed as a high school student, one of the most hazardous and misunderstood jobs on the planet. My school floods and some of the fire escapes are blocked, but you know, these are the things you just have to deal with if you want to survive until graduation. That being said, I've always been one of those kids who loved school, and I still am. Language-y subjects, anyway. I'm not a big fan of numbers. I've been blogging for a little more than a year on my personal blog. It usually is a combination of blog posts and my fiction and poetry. When I'm not writing, or drowning in homework, I'm usually involved in a play or musical. I love all things Theatre.

I'm also an devoted (read: obsessive) Irish dancer and lover of all things Irish. If you've ever seen Riverdance, that's a showier, more modern version of what I do. I perform and compete at various competitions and I'm always busy every year when St. Patrick's Day rolls around. It's almost always been part of my life and is a huge influence on my writing and of course, on who I am in general.

Despite school, dance, and busy rehearsal schedules, I always make time to read. I'm that kid who sneaks a book into social events. The kid who lies and says they're busy when really, they just want to go home and find out which fictional character dies at the end. I honestly don't know what I would do if I lived in a Fahrenheit 451-esque world where books were forbidden. My favorite authors--J.K. Rowling, Ray Bradbury, Neil Gaiman, Marcus Zusack, and F. Scott Fitzgerald, to name a few--have probably created the person who I am today more than anything else. That's one of the main reasons I want to be a writer. I want to write a book that someone stays up all night to read, or a poem that stays with the reader years after they've read it. That's why I applied to be a member of this blog, because I want to share my experiences as a young writer with anyone who's ever fallen in love with a book, a poem, or even just with words themselves.

Have a beautiful rest of your day, and keep an eye out for more posts from me every Wednesday (my favorite non-weekend day of the week). I'll also be updating our twitter account in the future, if you're a tweeting kind of person. Happy Wednesday. Have some Nutella to celebrate making it half way through the week. I know that's what I'm doing.

--Caroline