Monday, December 6, 2010

Life Experiences

(Just a short post from me today because I'm about half-way through Becca Fitzpatrick's CRESCENDO and I want to finish tonight.)

If you follow my blog, you'll know that I'm currently fundraising to go on a trip to Guatemala. The trip takes place as the end of March and I'll be spending 10 days in Joyabaj, Guatemala. I'm SUPER excited about this for a variety for reasons but today I want to talk about one in particular:

Going on this trip would give me an INSANE amount of things to write about. It'll give me all the experiences of traveling, of being in a foreign country surrounded by people I can only half understand. I'll be exploring ancient Mayan ruins and eating Spanish food. For once in my life, I will be somewhere that's not a one-redlight (literally) town.

Those are all things I've never experienced before. Chances are I'll learn a LOT about myself on this trip and I believe that the more in-tune you are with your emotions, the better you're able to write emotional scenes. And really, how awesome would it be to write a novel written in Guatemala?

I'm not saying this trip is going to make me a fabulous writer. It's not. The only thing that's going to make me a good writer is myself. And a LOT of practice. But, I think to be an outstanding writer, it's important to actually LIVE, to EXPERIENCE, to LEARN. I'm not going to do any of that sitting in this tiny town, like I have for the past sixteen years. This opportunity is too big to pass up.

Which is why I will be fundraising my butt off until I earn every penny I need.

What about you? Are there any experiences that have shaped your writing?

Harmony