Saturday, December 18, 2010

On Talking to the Voices in Saturday's Head

Or: On developing characters.

First of all, though, I want to point out that thanks to Katie we have a brand-new blog button. I think it is absolutely adorable and quite love it myself. We also have a new Twitter avatar thanks to her, so go follow us there, too, if you're on twitter.

Okay, so onto my post. When I started rewriting my NaNoNovel, Berserk, I realized that my characters were not nearly as well developed as they could be. So of course, like any writer worth her snuff, I turned to Google.

I found this. Now, I know what you're saying. "But Laaaaaina, those are so BORING."

With me, the trick is to let the characters answer the questions, in their voices. Which for me is first person, but whatever works for you. And if it ends up turning into soundling more like a journal entry/running log of their thoughts, try running with it. For me, it helps me learn how the character thinks, and if I know how they think, I know how they'll react to things.

And... um, this is short. How about I promise to do better next week and we'll call it a day? It's the holidays, we're all busy, right?

Peace and cookies,
Laina