Saturday, December 11, 2010

Saturday Gets Distracted By the Holidays

Or: Saturday has been reading and blogging and watching Christmas specials instead of writing.

I think the holidays are an easy distraction for a procrastinating writer. Case in point, my blog has posts scheduled all through December, I read The Hunger Games trilogy in one night where I couldn't sleep, and I've planned my work themes pretty much up to March 2011. I hadn't quite gotten to the point of cleaning the house yet, but I was getting there.

Why?

I'm a little bit stuck. I hit 36,280 and stopped writing linearly. Er, this is sorta Laina-speak, so I'll explain. I write 2 ways. Linearly, (gosh, I hope I'm using that word right, otherwise I'm going to look real silly... Dictionary.com says "Linear: of, consisting of, or using lines") by which I mean starting with a blank document and adding to it, not going back often, and non-linearly, by which I mean going back and adding in descriptions, fleshing out the characters, adding more scenes as they're needed. It's kind of a pre-revision thing, but I consider it part of writing because, well, it's not done.

I think this is one of the reasons that NaNo didn't really work for me, besides that I got sick, because I wasn't writing at my own pace. I rushed a bit too much and so I have a lot of skeleton scenes, one-dimensional characters who don't really have names very often, that kind of thing. Nothing that can't be fixed or would make me give up... but I'm a little bit stuck.

So right now, I'm listening to Harley's playlist trying to get back into her head. All my MCs (main characters) have playlists and they're all a little bit different. Sometimes I'll have the same song on more than one playlist, but they'll mean different things to each character.

Harley's playlist:

Howl - Florence and the Machine
We'll Be A Dream - We The Kings ft Demi Lovato
Good To You - Marianas Trench ft Jessica Lee (This is like Harley and Evan's song. Also, love the video.)
Here We Go - Mat Kearney
Siren Song - Bat for Lashes
Faithfully - Glee Cast
All You Wanted - Michelle Branch
Wouldn't Change A Thing - Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas (Shut up.)
Back to December - Taylor Swift
Sparks Fly - Taylor Swift
Bulletproof - La Roux
Blinding - Florence and the Machine
Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer
Breathless - Better Than Ezra (I like the Taylor Swift cover, too, but this one fits better than the other. Weird, but true.)
My Heart - Paramore
Haunted - Taylor Swift

(All songs link to youtube.)

So I'm listening to that... and ending this blog post here before I procrastinate anymore with it!

Peace and cookies,
Laina