Tuesday, December 7, 2010

True Story

In English class, we're in the middle of a really neat unit on African literature. I've read two texts, Things Fall Apart (Achebe) and Purple Hibiscus (Adichie) and I really enjoyed both. Along with this unit we've been discussing "single stories" and how to find the other side of a story or stereotype.

As you can imagine, this unit comes with a super cool project. For mine, I get to write a story. YAY. This is the first time I've gotten to really use a creative writing element in an English project (without a page limit!!) in years.

For a story project, I have to tell "The True Story Of _____." Think of the book The True Story of the Three Little Pigs. I get to tell the other side of any character from a book or movie.

So, of course, I thought Disney.

I'm creating a story about Ursula from the Little Mermaid. I'm so excited to write this-- I must have spent at least 55.7 hours of my childhood watching that movie. And I find the concept of the "true story" and "single story" really interesting...

How about you? What Disney (or, okay, non-Disney) character would you want to know the "true story" of?

Kieryn
www.kierynnicolas.com