Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Musicals

I'm probably writing this post because my superfantastic friend Tasha gave me a superfantastic holiday/birthday present: a ticket to see Fiddler on the Roof. Tonight. TONIGHT. I'm just so frickin excited!

I've been a fan of Fiddler for a while. A long while. Probably over a decade. My parents played the CD when I was young, and I've hummed/listened to the music ever since. Recently I saw the movie, and now I get to see the performance--YAY--which boils down to an I-love-fiddler-on-the-roof.

Because, not only does it have catchy songs--"Matchmaker, matchmaker, bring me a match" "If I were a rich man, yahadidididididididididum" "Tradition, tradition!"--it has a really interesting storyline. This is also true for my other favorite musical, Hairspray. Great songs--"You can't stop the beat!" "Little darlin', I've got to be the ladies' choice" "Nicest kids in town!"--and a super storyline. Even Cats, told totally in song, has an interesting, if confusing, plot behind the music.

I consider a musical to be a piece of literature. Someone wrote the script, the lyrics, and the music. So what is it that makes these musicals (and others) so neat? Is it the songs? The storyline? A bit of both?

Kieryn
www.kierynnicolas.com