Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saturday Gets Some Action

Or: Man, I need a makeout scene. 36k (and counting) and none yet.

First, I'd like to do a tiny bit of shameless self-promotion and tell you guys that I have a contest at my book blog. It's international, doesn't have a ton of entries, yada yada.

Anyways, you remember how I whined about not having a makeout scene two Saturdays ago when Berserk was at 17k? And I guessed I'd have one by another 10k? I'm at almost 20 and I still haven't had one. So, yeah, still going a bit bonkers over that.

In that post, I mentioned action-type scenes and that's what this post is going to be about.

I hate action scenes. (Laina-speak definiton: action scenes aren't necessary battle scenes or fighting or what say you. They can include things like two girls going shopping or working or... something I could think of if it wasn't nine in the morning. You know what I mean?)

They aren't easy for me. It usually takes me at least three tries to get the skeleton of an action scene right, and then another two revisions to get to a point where I don't hate them. However, certain people seem to like them when I finally get to the point of not hating them. I think it's because I know they're one of my weaknesses so I spend more time on them then I do on scenes that are easier.

Why do I include them? Because you can't write a book that's all kissing scenes. Well... you can... but people have to be 18 to buy them.

So today I'm asking you guys: What kind of scenes do you like best? What kind do you like least? And how do you deal with the ones you're not great at?

Peace and cookies,
Laina