Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thursday: Past, Present and Future

The Past

If you asked me back in kindergarten what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would have said something impossible like
  • an heiress (I blame the Suite Life of Zack and Cody. It took me way too long to realize London Tipton was basically Paris Hilton. My friends said the dog should have been a clue)
  • Cupid (I am a horrible match maker though. Ask any of my characters.)
  • a dog (I am not sure why though since I was scared of dogs...)
But a writer never even crossed my mind (even though I wrote all of these "what I wanna be when I grow up"s in a book for story time as part of my autobiography).

About four years ago I started reading Harry Potter. I fell in love with the series and books especially YA (I was the kind of kid who lied on my reading logs, so actually liking to read was a shocker for everyone). With my love for reading, I fell in love with writing.

The Present

I still love writing and reading (I don't do enough of either though).

I'm currently writing a YA fantasy which is weird since I'm character driven instead of plot, and plot is kinda important in fantasy.

The Future

I don't know what my plans for the future really are. I know most writers hope to get published, but I never wrote to get published. I write because... well I don't know why. I've been retyping this line over and over again, but really I have no idea. I write because writing is a part of me. I think that best way I can explain it.

Of course I am not completely crazy. I have wondered what it would be like to be published and to have readers fall in love with my characters like I did with Harry Potter and countless other books. Maybe it's just a fantasy, but maybe one day it'll be a reality.

I don't know. I'm just starting my writing journey, and I just wanna see where I go. Whether I am a NY Times bestseller (probably not) or just writing for myself, I just hope I am happy and writing. That's all I really hope for right now, and I hope you too are happy and writing in the future.


But if the future is anything like the past, I am going to love every single maddening second.

Yesterday was our 2nd anniversary here at YaLit Six. I think I speak for all of us here when I say thank y'all so much for the amazing support. Y'all are amazing. Thank y'all for following (is that the blogger term?) us, reading our thoughts, commenting and being apart of our writing journey.