Friday, October 22, 2010

How to Write Fast

The key to writing fast, which is a topic I picked today because I have half an hour before I have to leave for a 30 Seconds to Mars concert, is this: don't worry.

This all comes down to the whole "crappy first draft" thing, which I've talked about before. It's okay to write crappy. You can edit it all to a beautifully tight, flowing script (much unlike this one) later.

But to be able to write fast, to get everything in your brain onto the page, you have to not worry about what you're writing. You just have to go with it.

So say this or this or this or that or this and don't worry about how it sounds until later. Just get those words on the page.

So I have a challenge for you. Write for fifteen minutes solid. DO NOT stop. You can use Write or Die for this, which is an awesome program. Try to get as many words as you can without stopping. Don't think about what you're writing.

This is what I do when I need to figure out a plot problem. Just write it out. It might be crap, but your characters are still speaking to you and guiding you. And you can shape it later.

So don't make excuses. That bagel you were about to make or that book you're reading or that show you're watching can wait fifteen minutes. (Unless you're leaving for a 30 Seconds to Mars concert: then, it's a valid excuse.) Seriously, stop everything right now and write. You will thank me later. I love praise.

Let me know how you do and how many words you get. I'll be doing the exact same thing tonight when I get home from this crazy concert.

And I promise a more thought-out post next week.