Monday, November 15, 2010

Creating Original Main Characters

First off, Chelsea (Friday) is leaving us. She's in college and super-busy and while we'll definitely miss her, I'm happy to introduce our newest YA Lit Six member...Zoe! Zoe will be making her first post this Friday.


One of my main problems with writing is that all of my main characters always.the.same. I mean, sure, I might change their looks and a habit or two but it's like they're all different versions of the same people. They're nice and caring and fall for a boy and overcome some type of struggle.

And try as I might, I can NOT create characters that are totally different than that. It's like I can't. I don't want to create a character I hate and I have trouble writing about people completely foreign to me.

I also have a habit of wanting to name all of my characters "Christina" and "Anna". I have no clue why.

The thing is, if I'm going to be a good writer I HAVE to create original characters. They can't just be various versions of me.

How do you create your characters? Do you have the same problem? Any suggestions for how to create unique characters?

Harmony