Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Quotable

I like a good story. I love a great story. I especially love a great story with great writing--I could even go for reading a good story with great writing.

But writing is so subjective. Everything about books is. So how do you define good vs. great vs. amazinglyfantastic writing?

For me, the better the writing, the more quotable it is. Disregarding characters, plot, setting, et cetera-- there are just so many vivid, hilarious, amazing, breathtaking, quirky quotes.

For example...

Funny (my favorite):
  • "Due to scientific limitations and more than a touch of narcissism, we believed everything in the universe literally revolved around us. It was a theory called geocentrism, which was originally egocentrism, but they spelled it wrong." ~Earth, The Book (Jon Stewart)

Quirky:
  • I sank into the kitchen chair and stared at James. "I'm having a life crisis. Pass me the Teddy Grahams."
    He handed over the box. "All that's left are little paws and legs in the bottom of the box," he said. "It's a massacre."
    ~Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway
Vivid:
  • "My English teacher has no face. She has uncombed stringy hair that droops on her shoulders. The hair is black from her part to her ears and then neon orange to the frizzy ends. I can't decide if she had pissed off her hairdresser or is morphing into a monarch butterfly. I call her Hairwoman." ~Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Breathtaking:
  • "Their choruses made you wish you could fly, and we drove so fast on those nights, the orange streetlights lighting our way, taking us home." ~Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway
What books jump to your mind as quotable?

Kieryn
www.kierynnicolas.com