Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Speed

When you have a story idea, storyboard, summary, anything, you're usually excited to write it, right? And what are the parts you're most looking forward to writing? For me I usually look forward to the dramatic moments, and action scenes. However, when I reach those scenes in the actual draft, I find myself writing slowly,wording and rewording. It seems to take me almost three times as long to write the fast-paced scenes as any other.

And the scenes that flow quickly into the draft, that I spend much less time rewording, are the less action ones-- they're usually the scenes that take place inside a character's mind, or a conversation. Dialogue, internal and external, forms much more rapidly than action.

How about you? What types of scenes do you write quickly, or slowly?