Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Perspective

I had some homework to do over the weekend, so naturally I tried to think of other things to do. I ended up browsing through old stories, and it felt like seeing old friends after way too long-- because each main character had a different personality.

That got me thinking. Out of the stories I've written, my strongest main characters are the ones that are very different from each other. I have a way-too-goal-oriented spy who balks at emotion, a vocab-challenged space cadet who can never stay angry, a doctor-wannabe who asks too many questions, and an assistant curator who can't stand paper cuts but runs towards crime scenes.

So, who am I when I'm writing all these different characters? Am I pretending to be someone else, or are all of these characters facets of my personality?

How about you, who are your different characters in relation to yourself?

Kieryn
www.kierynnicolas.com