Thursday, February 24, 2011

But What if They Read It?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I thought I would share my thoughts with you all. I'm 14 now and I would like to try and get an agent by the time I'm a senior in high school. It probably won't happen but a girl can dream, right?
There is this lingering fear that if I actually do get published when I'm a teenager- people will actually read it. I'm not scared of people reading what I write, I'm scared of family reading what I write.
I curse in my novels.
Some of my characters curse like sailors.
But that is just how they are.

People who are non-writers don't really understand that if I have a character who drops the f-bomb every other word, I can't censor them. Speaking of experience, when I censor a character so they don't curse or say a certain thing, it messes them up.

You guys, my grandparents might read what I publish.
They probably will read my books if they get published.
The thing is- I don't say "bad words" much in real life. I don't want my parents/grandparents/parents friends/cousins to read what I write and then be shocked that I know a curse-word!

Teenagers curse.
They make a lot of sexual innuendo's.
They are annoying, self centered, and confused.

I don't want my family members to think of me differently because of what I write. This is a fear that has haunted me for years. I seriously don't know how to get over it. Do you ever get over it?
Let's discuss this in the comments, dear readers.
Am I the only one who has a fear of my elders reading what I write and thinking I'm crazy?