Friday, February 11, 2011

Outlining!

Some people like to outline their novels. I get it, I really do. It's just not my style.

Sit in a room with a bunch of writers you've never talked to before and talk about writing. Almost always, the topic of outlining comes up.

I like to think writers in two categories- those who outline, and those who don't.

I don't outline my novels because when I do, I always seem to stray away from what my outline says. There are pro's and con's to not outlining, so I'm going to talk about those today.

The Pro's-

- Your characters really have a chance to let their voices show, because they aren't being stuck to a "script" of sorts.
- Freedom! This is a big thing with me, because I love breaking the rules. Since there is no outline, there is no rules. It makes me feel like I can breath more while writing.
- Less planning means I can start writing right away. I have this fear that if I don't start writing my story as soon as I get the idea, by the time I am done with outlining- the idea won't be fresh and might parish in my mind.

The Con's-

- You get stuck. A LOT. I always find myself wondering what to write next.
- Wild characters who like to party. Since there is no outline, the characters aren't tamed and then they rule the story.

Even though not outlining causes me loads of grief, I still can't bring myself to outline when writing.

Do you outline? What are your thoughts about it?