Thursday, February 17, 2011

Making the Time

Recently I've come across a problem I haven't really had to deal with before. I took on a second job in addition to my full-time position, and now I find I have no time or energy to write.

My typical day: Alarm clock shrieks, and I smack it every ten minutes until I absolutely have to go. I wake up, shower quickly, go to work, and immerse myself in phone calls and paperwork. I finish the first job and head to the other, serving food and coffee and trying to learn the ropes. One we're closed and my shift is finally done I get in my car, drive the half hour to get home late, and barely manage to eat a few bites before falling right back into bed to start it all over again.

I haven't written a word for a few days now. For me, this isn't normal. If I can't get these stories out of my head, I'm not happy. Now I sit in my office and think about those characters, silently apologize to them for not being able to tell their tales. I stand in the kitchen at the restaurant and nod at the customer, all the while wondering if I'll have the stamina to open my laptop when I get home.

If this is something we're really passionate about, we need to make the time.

This is something I'm good at. This is something I enjoy doing. And if I can't even spare a few minutes to sit down and write a few words, I know that something isn't right. I shouldn't have to blink sleepily at the screen or down five cups of coffee. Maybe for some of you, there is no other way. I truly admire you for your dedication. But for me, I have a choice, and writing is that choice.

So I think I'm going to back out of this second job, and get back to the writing.

This post isn't to make anyone feel sorry for me, or offer me advice. I know that there are so, so many others who have it tougher than me. The point of this post is to express how important it is to do something we love. Even if some of us don't have the time, we have to make the time. Late at night, early in the morning, on our sick days or the holidays. If you can, cut  back on those work hours. Live life. Do this one thing you enjoy most. Because life is too short not to.